Thursday, December 20, 2012

This Calls for a Cup of Tea

I am working on a fractions unit for classroom teachers and with the weather being dreadful, I turned on the heater and prepared to spend time on the computer. In order to ensure our students have the depth of conceptual understanding  they need for the Common Core Math Standards, I thought about adding a few "rich" tasks to the fractions activities.

I thought to myself, "Well, what exactly is a rich task? I know when I see one, but I'm not sure if I can define it, much less create it." I sat down and made a list of things I know about rich tasks:

  • All levels of learners can do something with the problem
  • Promote different methods of solving the problems and has at least one efficient solution
  • Students can have some initial success, or feeling of accomplishment
  • It encourages creativity
  • It deepens students' math skills
  • It can be used independently but also lends itself to collaborative work
  • Students are interested in it - it promotes curiosity
Pumpkin Spice - just right for the season!
After making my list, I knew I needed a cup of tea. I found an amazing new tea that would help me with the deep thinking part.

(A little while later) I think I have come up with a rich task for my 3rd graders. I just need a few graphics, a little formatting and reworking some of the language. When finished, I will download it my Teachers Pay Teachers Store and I will put a freebie right here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Premade Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio